Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Return to the Island

We are back on the island after a six month absence, and it sure is good to be home. We had a busy summer back in the States with traveling, visiting family and friends, and helping my parents.  Here are a few photos from our summer:


 We celebrated our birthdays at Lulu's in Gulf Shores, AL with good friends Helen and Roger.


Attended my cousins' reunion in Troy, MO. Some of these cousins had not seen each other in years. Lots of catching up and laughing. We do that well.

 

We took my mom to Missouri to the cousins' reunion and to visit her family. She had not seen her sister or sister-in-law in several years. My dad's health did not allow him to make the trip, so my sister (from California) came and stayed with him.


  Crazy cousins hiking through the woods looking for a very neglected cemetery. Found it...and the ticks found us!


We managed to pass through Missouri several times during the summer and stayed at our favorite B&B: the Winships. Don loved spending time in the man-cave with Carl while Pat and I yakked.
We were never there long enough - just long enough to visit our doctor or dentist or passing through on the way to somewhere else. We didn't want to wear out our welcome!



Several trips to Wisconsin to visit and to help Dave with his basement project. And of course, to play with Simon!


Spent a fabulous week on the beach in Gulf Shores with our family. Even my dad ventured out for an evening walk on the beach.


We took lots of crazy family photos.  My parents loved having the whole family around for a week, but I know it wore them out.


                                          We had a girls only lunch at Tacky Jacks.



The Greatful Dead Tour...10 days of traveling through Virginia researching our family history. Had so much fun with my cousin and sister. Virginia is a beautiful state; our ancestors live in some breath-taking places. 

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah Valley
What a view our ancestors had!!


Watched my precious grandson be a ring bearer for his aunt. His daddy had to carry him down the aisle. The flowergirl was also carried down the aisle by her daddy. Weddings during naptime are not a good idea.


Aunt Rachel and I were the official wedding weekend babysitters. Tough job, but someone had to do it! Extra fun to have another visit with Rachel since we never made it to California.

We were happy to have so much time to spend with my parents, helping out with whatever they needed, but a little nervous about leaving them to come back to Roatan. Problem solved: My sister is coming to take the winter shift, helping out our parents. That's a relief for all of us, and a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment