Thursday, February 14, 2013

Crochet Lesson #1

Ever since the girls saw my tab-top purse, they've been dying to make one and ask every time they see me "when can we come to your house to make the purse?" Today was the first lesson. I picked them up at 1:30. Leidy brought a huge bag of tab-tops that her mom has been saving for me! Huge. We can make a lot of purses!


I was honestly amazed at how quickly they caught on. I had planned to just teach them a couple of basic crochet stitches, how to hold the hook and yarn, how to maintain even tension, and then practice crocheting with the tab-tops. Julissa just went to town! Karla casually said "oh, she learned how to crochet in La Ceiba." Julissa said yes, her sister had taught her before they came to the island.



Leidy also did well once she figured out how to pull the yarn through the tabs without losing it. Karla had the most trouble, and I really didn't think she would get the hang of it, but suddenly, she got it. She still struggled a bit with loose stitches but knew what to do.


                                                          Leidy, in deep concentration.

We worked until 3:00, taking a little break for a snack - a brownie and a soda (nutritious, huh?). While Don was tutoring Nick early this morning, I made a pan of brownies from scratch for Valentine's day, icing and all. They loved them. When they went back to work, Leidy was clearly getting tired and kept pulling out her stitches and starting the row again. She was getting more and more frustrated, a sure sign that it is time to quit! I let her take some yarn and a hook home to practice, if she wants to.

By the time I dropped the girls off in the colonia, Leidy's smile had returned. They can't wait to come back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment