Friday, May 1, 2009

Laundry Bird

Just to give you an idea of how close this nesting hummer is to us, here she is, hanging among the laundry. I waited for her to fly off before I hung these shorts so close to her nest. I didn't hang anything too close on HER line and I was careful to keep darker, duller colors on the lines closest to her nest. She still got a little bit excited when she flew back, hovering, fussing, darting around from various directions. Finally she made peace with it and returned to the nest.

I had to take a taxi to Bible study last night since I have no car and no one from Sandy Bay was going to the study. So, I walked down our hill, flagged down a taxi, offering him 30 lempiras; he agreed. He asked if I spoke Spanish, I said "un poco", so we had a little conversation in Spanish. He asked my name and did I live in Sandy Bay. Told me his name was Santo. When we got in to West End, I asked him to take me to Foster's, at the far end of the beach road, nearer to my destination. He went as far as the Baptist church, pulled over and started to turn around! I said "oh, no. Foster's" and pointed to the right. He started talking fast and I only understood "West Bay" and "rapido", as he pointed to his watch. I had forgotten that there is also a Foster's in West Bay, but that's not where I wanted to go. He refused to take me the rest of the way, so I paid him, got out and walked the rest of the way to Kristin's. I really don't know what he was trying to do.

Thankfully, I didn't have to take a taxi back home, after dark, by myself. No desire to do that. Melissa thoughtfully offered to give me a ride home, even though it is out of her way (she lives in West Bay). I was able to bring Kristin's hammock and a small rug back with me. Kris asked if we could store a few things for her while she's back in the States for awhile. She's returning to Montana. We'll miss her.

People come and go here, as do we. Yesterday Colin (and Kellie and Moe) moved from the house up the hill from us to a house down on the beach close to church. Today our pastor and his family moved from the church compound into the house up the hill, so we have new neighbors. The kids will have to come down and see our hummingbird soon.

Just a pretty sunset to close with. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment