Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mild Culture Shock

It just gets colder here every night, 30 degrees last night. Don had to have a nice big fire this morning. I was tempted to not even leave the house, but I had a 9 a.m. doctor's appointment and then Ladies' Class, and I knew all the women were waiting for my return. They were as thrilled to see me as I was them.

It is a bit overwhelming to be back in the land of plenty though. The stores are huge, brightly lighted, and the selection of goods available is just unbelievable. You all know this, of course, but for me just coming back from Honduras, it is incredible.

The traffic has been another adjustment. I drove the short distance to the doctor's office in rush hour traffic. Lots of impatient people out there. One thing about Roatan is, with the possible exception of the taxi drivers, the people tend to be very patient; they're used to waiting in lines. I'm also not used to stop lights, there are none on the island, and, good gosh! there are a lot of them on Manchester Road. Then there is the noise from so much traffic and the smell of exhaust fumes. But I did enjoy the nice, wide, smooth road surfaces, unlike the beach road after all the torrential rains. (sorry about the sideways picture - I had rotated it but it flipped back). Click to
enlarge photo.








It seems odd to see everyone wearing such dark colors, lots of black, winter colors, and wearing dress boots and coats. (except for the Michigan people who don't think it's at all cold yet). I still think it's summer, but I'm not about to go sit on the deck in shorts, tee shirt and flip flops. And everyone is talking about Christmas shopping; I'm really not ready for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment